Saturday, March 31, 2007

Thoughts from a Night of B-Ball

Ahh, the NCAA Tournament.

This really has been a good one, hasn't it? Sure, there haven't been many upsets, but that just means that the best teams are playing each other at the end. Only part-time fans crave upsets, true aficionados crave to see the best play the best.

Anyway, as I sit here watching Florida dismantle UCLA, I've been pondering the following questions:
  1. Has a team ever owned another more than Florida owns UCLA? Two years in a row the same Gators team has completely dominated the same UCLA team. The only two-team series that I can think of that rivals this level of domination are the Bills/Cowboys Superbowls of the early 90s. Seriously, it's impressive.
  2. Will Greg Oden return for his sophomore year? Reading this article tonight, I can see the benefits, but there are so much incentives (like financial security for the rest of your life) to turn pro that it would be hard to imagine him coming back. If OSU wins it all, I guaranty he turns pro and goes #1.
  3. Who emerges from the tournament as the team to beat next year? Depending on who decides to turn pro, my money is on UCLA. They have the #1 recruit in the country showing up at their doorsteps next year and Collison/Afflalo will remain a deadly duo...as long as they don't play Florida.
  4. Who will end up the best pro of this years stars? The safe money is on Durant, but it could depend on what team they go to. Jeff Green has a chance to be a real impact player for whatever team gets him in the 7-8 range and my personal favorite, Julian Wright, is like a reincarnated James Worthy. Regardless, it's going to be a good draft class.
I know, the thoughts of the sports obsessed. A few additional thoughts from the tourney:
  • My colleague Tracy successfully derailed my mojo and ruined my chances at the office pool. Next year I'm going to make a voodoo doll of him in advance just in case he tries the same tricks.
  • Texas A&M, my sleeper pick to make the Final Four, was completely robbed at the end of their game against Memphis. Completely. My only explanation is that the refs in the game were auditioning for a chance to guest-ref the NBA Finals this year. Unbelievable; I thought I was going to have a seizure.
  • This has been the best-fed I've been in awhile. Most of Tournament I've been going out to Brooklyn Park to watch the games with my dad, and Mom has been cooking up my favorites while I've been out. Lasagna. Ginger Chicken with fried rice. Life has been good.
  • During this tourney run, Dad, Drew, and I have been on a scotch run of epic proportions. For some reason, basketball becomes even more enjoyable with a glass of 12-year in hand.
  • My favorite moment of the tournament (me screaming at my brother, as he's sitting next to his girlfriend, after he commented on a deck of cards that came with a bottle of Speyside 12-year I had bought):
    That's right! That's why you drink scotch! You don't get that s#!t with Miller Lite!
  • They've always let me down when I've picked them. Everybody advised me not to pick them. I wrote I wasn't going to pick them...and I still picked Kansas to win it all. I'm an idiot.
At this point the Gators have successfully polished off the Bruins and we are set for Ohio State vs. Florida Part Deux: This Time, it's Basketball! Hope everybody has been enjoying the tourney as much as me.

On a final note, please check out Rory's blog when you get a chance. He's been reporting from Iraq and has had some interesting postings as of late. And always, please keep him in your thoughts and prayers, no matter what faith you may be of.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's why I drink Miller Lite; it doesn't come with a severe hangover. :-D

Don't forget the poker chips as well!